When I saw this idea on Fun At Home With Kids I had to try it! I love love love colour, so these beautiful coloured beans got my immediate attention. I will warn you though, that they can get messy - both in creation and in play! But what's life without a little messy fun!? :)
What you'll need:
- Dry beans - the paler the better. You can get them in the soup section at the supermarket for a couple of dollars a bag.
- Food colouring
- Ziplock bags
- Paper towels
What you need to do:
- I put a cup of beans each in four zip lock bags
- Added a 15 drops of food colouring to each bag
- Ziplocked the bags, but making sure that there was still air trapped inside to allow the beans to move. I actually zipped it all but closed, blew some air in and then quickly sealed all the way.
- Shake vigorously for at least 20 seconds (basically until all the beans are covered)
- Empty each bag onto a few paper towels and allow to dry...for as long as possible.
- Once dry we mixed them all together in a big container and the boys set to work playing. We used a variety of different cups and containers to measure, pour, fill and play with the beans. We counted them, we sorted them and we basically just had got old fashioned fun looking at them!